From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia R. Hetrick
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:47:31 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:40:37 -0700
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mr. Buffum's Training Program for Cataloguers
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

While I was a junior and senior at GWU, I worked part-time at LC in the
Map Division.  After I left, I came back to visit one time and Mr.
Buffum told me that I'd catalogued more than 2000 maps during my last
year of working for him.  So, what he taught me must have worked.

He gave me a drawing of a map with all the pieces to be identified on
the catalogue record  and big card with the proper order of things,
etc., sort of like a model of a catalogue card.  Then, he went through
the WHOLE G book with me, explaining from his perspective, when and
where something odd happened, i.e., not according to the overall rules
of choosing the call number.  Finally, he spent one afternoon showing
and telling me how to decide when I didn't know enough to catalogue
something so that I'd pass it on to him.

He started me off with doing US city maps, but by the time I left, I was
doing nearly any English/French/Spanish single sheet maps that were
contemporaneous with the time I worked there, i.e., he did historical
and non-contemporaneous single sheets plus series.

On the whole, I had a great time because one of my favorite things to do
while I was growing up was to sit on my inner tube and look at National
Geographic maps (my parents subscribed starting four years before I was
born so we had EVERYTHING from before WWII and onwards).

Thanks for asking.

HTH.

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]