From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:52:38 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:17:57 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: map circulation/preservation (fwd)

At the University of Florida, we circulate most maps published after 1975
for one week. A person can renew as many times as needed if no one has
requested the map(s).  However, the map(s) must be returned to the Map &
Imagery Library for renewal. Any maps leaving the Map & Imagery Library must
be in a maptube which has a date due slip firmly attached to it--no loose
ends.  In the past we had used various publisher mailing tubes with partial
success.  We faced the decision to stop circulating maps or to invest some
money in a more professional looking package.  We purchased dozens of map
tubes in 3 different sizes.  Each tube and cap has a 4 x 6" computer
generated label on it which states "Return to Map & Imagery Library" and
includes a map logo and the tube number.  There are special containers with
date due slips attached for any items in folders or slip covers i.e., USGS
Geologic Quadrangles.

These maptubes have been used for 14 years and have been very successful.
We have much less wear and tear on the maps.  Also the standardized package
seems to create more respect for the map and the maptube.  We have lost few
tubes and the number of lost maps has decreased dramatically.  It took only
a few hours of student assistant time to generate and attach the labels and
dueslips.

HelenJane Armstrong PhD.
Head, Map & Imagery Library
University of Florida