Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 14:39:20 EDT
Cross posted to MAPS-L and GOVDOC-L.  Please excuse any duplication.
   In August 1993, Ron Johnston posted a solution to NOTIS-L to address
the problem of making the degree symbol read properly in the online catalog.
Our library is preparing to load records from Marcive tapes into our NOTIS
OPAC and have been looking at the modification to the NOTIS load program he
suggested, which is supposed to allow a 1981 ALA character set superscript
zero to display in the OPAC.

   We have tried the modification and it did product a zero character, but
it displays as a standard "0" and not the way we had hoped.  I've looked at
many online catalogs over the Internet, but have not found none which
displays the degree symbol.  Does anyone know of a system that displays this
symbol properly?

   If no one is able to display the superscript zero, is it preferable to
load it and hope for the future (even when it displays as "0"?)  Fifteen
degrees then reads as "150" and so on.  I believe that there was discussion
suggesting the use of the "^" symbol to substitute for the superscript zero,
but don't know if this would cause greater problems. Does anyone have advice
on this?

   Please respond to me, and I will summarize for the list.  Thanks!

John Stevenson
University of Delaware Library
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
Newark, DE  19717-5267
302-831-8671