From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:11:48 -0400
Subject: RE: globe purchasing]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:11:24 -0500
From: "Bigwood, David" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Julie,

This sounds like what they want, but with a 1981 date they could be hard
find. The set had Earth, the moon, Mars and Mercury. The Earth globe had
rather detailed ocean bottoms.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
Lunar & Planetary Institute
Cataloging news: http://www.catalogablog.blogspot.com

Author  Replogle Globes.; Inge, Jay L.; Batson, Raymond M.; Planetary
Geology Program (U.S.); United States.; Office of Space Science.

 Title  The lithospheres of the terrestrial planets [cartographic
material]
/ manufactured for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration,
Planetary Geology Programs [sic], Office of Space Science, by Replogle
Globes.

 Subject        1. Physical geography--Globes.  2. Mercury (Planet)--Globes.
3. Moon--Globes.  4. Mars (Planet)--Globes.

 Notes  Title, publication, and other information taken from labels on
each
cradle.

        "Cartographic concept and design of this set of globes are by R.M.
Batson, U.S. Geological Survey. Shaded relief portrayal for each globe
is by
J.L. Inge, U.S. Geological Survey."

        Earth -- Mars -- Mercury -- [Earth's Moon]

        Relief shown by shading.

        Only the shapes of surface forms are shown, mottling was purposely
omitted. Shaded as if illuminated from the West. Water and ice have been
excluded in order to show surfaces hidden by those features. Colors are
used
for cosmetic purposes only.

 Publisher      Chicago, Ill. : Replogle, 1981.

 Phys Desc      4 globes : col., paper on cardboard base, in wooden cradles
; 41 cm. in diam. or smaller.