From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:25:24 -0500
Subject: RE: Books on maps (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:04:28 +0000
From: Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

        Probably the best one is the "Orienteering" or the former "Pathfinding"
merit badge for the Boy Scouts. There are probably similar badges in the
Girl Scouts, but I don't know about them.
        Also, on the Internet are some interesting sites about home schooling
for map reading, scavenger hunts with maps, and other activities. See:
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/learning/qt/hismapskills2.htm for one
example.
        My personal favorite is "Maps for America" by the US Geological Survey.
However, it is now out of print, and is probably too intense for 9th
graders, but it is comprehensive. Other items, such as "Topographic Map
Resources for Teachers" and "Exploring Maps" can be found on their
webpage at: http://education.usgs.gov/secondary.html
        Any search engine with "map reading" and "6th grade" will pop up with
many, many websites of resources. Ditto when you put in "7th grade" or
whatever, and then add "bibliography".
        Another resources is worldcat.org. Put in "su:Map reading Juvenile
literature." In the search field, and a number of items will pop up.
        And as an aside, writing up what you find would make a good article in
the literature. I think that a lot of teachers go through this
experience every year, and it would be nice to have it spelled out so
people don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel.
        Good luck in your endeavors.

R. Lee Hadden
US Army Corps of Engineers
Army Geospatial Center