From:
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 10:33:10 EDT
2 messages.-----------------------------------------Johnnie

    : Fri, 26 May 1995 07:27:42 -0700 (MST)
    : Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Classifying Digital Spatial Data

Fran,
  My problem is where do you put Landsat, AVHRR, radar, etc. and all
of the other remote sensing format.  What subject class code do you
use for AVHRR?  If you have two or three sets of data for a single
year, you end up with the same call number.  And I feel we should
differentiate between the various types of remote sensing data.
  I think it is time for a separate letter for aerial photos and
remotely sensed imagery.  Too bad R has been used.  Linda Zellmer

    : Thu, 25 May 1995 17:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
    : Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Classifying Digital Spatial Data

Hi, Linda,
Our library prefers to classify all media in the appropriate subject area
if at all possible, and attach a standardized (for our library) media
term at the end.  The CD-ROM "Street Atlas USA" is G1201 P2 D44 1991
CD-ROM.  A computer file would have the appropriate LC subject call
number with CompF at the end.  The +245 |h carries the general media
designator and can be picked up in a keyword search.
I hope this helps some.
Cheers,
Fran

On Fri, 19 May 1995, Linda Zellmer wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>   Just spent about 15 minutes discussing how to classify digital
> spatial data with someone in cataloging, and we have had no brilliant
> insights.  Therefore, I am asking for comments from the list.  Please
> address your comments to the list, as I am sure that others are
> interested.  The problem:
>
> We purchased some of the datasets available from the EROS Data Center
> during the last year.  We have some AVHRR in the QKs (plant surveys);
> another library has put some similar data in the QBs (meteorological
> and climate change).  So far, LC has not cataloged these datasets.
>
> I know that we have all complained long and hard about the
> difficulties of .A4 for aerial photography.  NOW, to top that off, we
> have data on CD-ROM that should really be cataloged somewhere in the
> G Schedule, but no place to put it.  (I checked the new revisions for
> the G schedule with no success).
>
> Realistically, all spatial information, no matter the format, should
> be classed with and according to the same classification schedule,
> in other words, the G-schedule.  However, I think we need to revise
> the G-schedule to make room for new formats.  Does anyone know if
> there are plans for another subject class--one that could be used for
> aerial photography and remotely sensed imagery?  Is it time for a new
> class?
>
> How are other libraries handling digital spatial data?  Linda
> Zellmer, University of Wyoming

Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a map is worth a million!"