From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:53:48 -0500
Subject:        Re: British OS launches free data site: Data really isn't free
Date:   Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:44:37 -0400
From:   Russell Guy <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

One thing the articles all seem to ignore is the cost factor.  Since
OS has been self-sustaining and not receiving national gov't
financial support, giving away their product instead of charging for
it means they have to replace that revenue somewhere.  The OS still
have the same amount of work as before, and probably more as they now
have to maintain a public access website.  I hate to think what the
customer service requirements will be while the general public learn
to use the site and manipulate the data.  The gov't report talked
about a "commercial contract" with OS to supply and maintain the
various databases, but there were no details.

It will be interesting to see how this is all financed.

Russell