From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:58:39 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Univ of TN Digital Maps Project - TN Out-of-Print
Topo Quads
Date:   Tue, 29 Nov 2005
From:   Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Gregory,

We started working this past summer with the North Carolina Geologic
Survey on a large geologic map scanning and georeferencing project,
whereby they scan the maps and an intern here georeferences them.  As
a side effort, we also brought in a number of 15-minute and 7.5 minute
superceeded topo maps.  It's not a complete set, but I'm hoping to
continue filling holes.

They've already been useful to several grad students and a teacher,
all looking for older historic maps.  For us, this is an addition to
our collection because we didn't have hard copies of these maps.
Having them georeferenced is also very helpful because it can be
difficult to "get your bearings" with older maps where the features
are completely different now.  Just overlay an existing DRG, and it's
amazing to see the changes.

I've compressed them from TIF to MrSID and made an index shapefile.
They are available on our campus server, but not on the web - although
that's a goal.  We may have some overlap with Tennessee.  Let me know
if you're interested and I'll check.

Best Regards,
Jeff Essic

Jeff Essic, Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services Dept.
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
[log in to unmask]    (919) 515-5698