From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:14:33 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: MAPS-L: Orthophoto sets
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005
From: Booth, Arlyn <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

We had some of these orthophotoquads and orthophotomaps for quite a few
states, but only whatever came in the shipments to depository libraries.
We had them all interfiled with the regular topo quads for that state.
But a few years ago I had all the orthophotomaps that had later regular
topos for that quad pulled and eliminated. Most orthophotomaps weren't
in states that we keep superceded topos for. If there wasn't a later
regular topo, it's still in the drawer, not cataloged separately. I
thought if we kept the orthophotomaps, it would be too easy for the
staff who had to pull maps for requests, who knew that we usually kept
only the most current for those states, to pull a superceded quad
instead of the latest. There might still be GPO OCLC records out there
for orthophotomaps by state.
On the orthophotoquads, it was easier to tell them apart since they were
black and white, but since most of them date from about the 1970's, I
pulled them all out for all states except Illinois a year or two ago and
gave them all away except for Illinois and the surrounding states. I
cataloged the Wisconsin, Missouri, and one other state, I think,
separately. The records shouldn't be hard to find on OCLC. There were
several other states' records on OCLC when I was looking for these.
I never thought to use these for requests for aerial photos for other
states, but some of our patrons used them very occasionally. But as you
say, some states only had a couple and others had quite a few. I think I
remember that Illinois only ever had 42% of the state done in the paper
1:24,000 format. And I don't think all of them came depository. I would
separate the Illinois orthophotos too now if I hadn't put them in our
published Illinois topo inventory.
Arlyn