From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:02:35 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:51:22 -0500
From: Jim Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Missile Sites in Minnesota/Wisconsin <fwd>

Mark and y'all,

We have a set of maps produced by Nukewatch in 1986 which locates missile
silos in great detail.  Unfortunately Wisconsin and Minnesota are not
included in the set.  Nukewatch's address was 315 West Gorham St. Madison,
WI (I assume the group disbanded after the missiles were removed).

>Colleagues:
>
>I am helping a student who is writing a master's thesis on "Nuclear Air
>Defense Missile Sites in Minnesota, 1958-72."
>
>He is intrigued by the lack of identification of these sites on topographic
>maps and plat books published during this period.  He questions whether the
>sites were ommitted from maps for security reasons, as he has found
>detailed articles about the sites in several local newspapers from the time.
>
>He would like to know:
>
>1. How classified were these sites? (Why newspaper articles but not maps)
>2. Does anyone know of any maps that show the various sites? (He would like
>to include
>    some maps with his thesis)

Jim Coombs, Associate Professor and Map Librarian
Dept. of Library Science
Southwest Missouri State University
Duane G. Meyer Library #175
901 South National Avenue