From:
BARBARA COX <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 16:40:56 EST
   A patron wants to check the accuracy of a local legend that certain
nearby mountains are "the steepest" in the U.S.  These questions on
superlatives make a librarian wary.  However, I thought I
remembered a map which showed the difference in relief/altitude
between the highest and lowest points in each square of an arbitrary
grid covering the U.S. or North America.
   A search through our own catalog and Worldcat under "slopes" and
"relief" and "altitude" failed to bring up anything.  Does this item
sound familiar to anyone else?  (I could swear it was a USGS product,
digital-based, probably on a dark backround, mid-80's..but obviously
my memory is fading in anticipation of the holiday weekend.)

Barbara Cox        [log in to unmask]
Science and Engineering Division, 159 Marriott Library
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah USA 84112
(801)581-7533      fax (801)585-3464