From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:14:38 EDT
2 messages.---------------------Johnnie

    : Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
    : "Edward M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Kurtsdorf, Poland

Jennie Dienes,

I checked the GEOname(tm) Digital Gazetteer for Kurtsdorf.  This product
is a worldwide (non-US) database of geographic names on a CD.  The data is
derived from the US Defense Mapping Agency Geographic Names Database.
(This is the same database used to build the BGN country gazetteer books.)
However, GEOname is a commercial product not endorsed by the Secretary of
Defense.

I queried for any name with the combination: kur*dorf.  (The asterisk is
a wild card standing for any letter combination.)  The GEOname response
(for close names) follows with codes de-coded:

Kursdorf
N(=Local national name) / PPL=populated place (town)  51!(=degrees)25'0"N
12!14'0"E  GM(Germany) 00(undefined Land/province)

Kursdorf
N / PPL 50!58'0"N  11!55'0"E  GM 00

Kurzendorf: see Drogos(l with slash)aw
V(=Variant) / PPL  50!36'0"N  16!30'0"E  PL(Poland) 66(Walbrzych)

Kurzendorf
N / PPL  49!21'0"N  10!27'0"E  GM 02(Bayern Land)

Kurzendorf
N / PPL  49!16'0"N  10!32'0"E  GM 02

Because the German 'z' is pronounced something like 'ts,' I would bet on
Kurzendorf in what is now Poland, particularly if the name had been passed
through an oral history.  (I did not check to see if the coordinates
fall in what was Prussia.)

Hope this helps,

Ed Taylor
GEOname Products
GDE Systems, Inc., PO Box 509008, San Diego, CA 92150-9008, USA
Phone: 619-592-5870     Fax: 619-592-5320
email:  [log in to unmask]
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com/GDE.html

(Sorry about the broadcast response.  The message bounced on your email
address.)

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Jennie Dienes, Univ. of Kansas wrote:

> Hi.! I have a patron request for Kurtsdorf, Poland.  However, in the old days
> this area was Prussia.  I have looked in my gazetteers and old atlases but have
> not been able to find this spelling.  I found two places called Kursdorf, but
> none called Kurtsdorf.  Can anyone help?  Thank you in advance. Jennie.
> e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

       : Re: Kurtsdorf, Poland
    : Thu, 22 Jun 1995 15:16:05 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi.! I have a patron request for Kurtsdorf, Poland.  However, in the old days
> this area was Prussia.  I have looked in my gazetteers and old atlases but have
> not been able to find this spelling.  I found two places called Kursdorf, but
> none called Kurtsdorf.  Can anyone help?  Thank you in advance. Jennie.
> e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

We have a really great 2 volume German/Polish Polish/German name-change set
that has a Kurtsdorf listed as Sienno; lob.  (with a slash through the l).
Looking this abbreviation up in the front (there's a small English intro),
this places it in the Voivodeship of Szczecin, district lobeski (with Lobez as
the district seat).  Unfortunately, none of the current Sienno listings fall
within this district (which I WAS able to locate).

The source:  Rospond, Stanislaw.  Slownik Nazw Geograficznych Polski
Zachodniej i Polnocnej.  Wroclaw, 1951.  Known around here (for obvious
reasons as "those Polish-German name-change books"

Hope this is enough of a lead you can find something.

Denise Coles