From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:38:27 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Question about cataloging geologic maps
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
From: David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Gwen, and all;

The use of contours on the map will be indicated in Relf: as 'a' with the
note "Relief shown by contours."

Contours often appear on various maps such as yours regardless if they are
relevant to the map theme. Sometimes they are part of a base map that was
used to produce the thematic so you need to describe them as contours would
on any other map.

Bathymetric maps, the difference between "contours" and "isolines" are that
one shows relief on land, and the other underwater. If the water were to be
removed, then the isolines would be contours.

I use a simple method for remembering these when doing them (assuming that
you would have both of the below mentioned relief attributes in each map):

Ground relief:  contours and spot heights
Underwater relief:      isolines and soundings

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
University at Buffalo, NY

--On Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:27 AM -0500 "Angie Cope, AGSL"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
>
> Subject: Question about cataloging geologic maps
> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
> From: Curtis, Gwen  <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Could someone with experience cataloging geologic maps please advise me
> on something?  When a geologic map shows structure by contour lines, is
> that considered relief?  Should it be coded as "Relf: a" and described
> in a note as - Relief shown by contours?  Or, do the codes for relief
> only pertain to topographic and bathymetric relief?  Perhaps the note
> should be "Structure shown by contours" and the relief code left blank.
> What do you think?

> Gwen Curtis
> Geology Library and Map Collection
> University of Kentucky Libraries