From:
JOHNNIE D SUTHERLAND <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 17:05:36 -0400
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of

Curator of Maps

Boston Public Library
Boston, Massachusetts

The Boston Public Library (BPL), the first publicly supported municipal
library in the US, seeks an experienced, creative, and entrepreneurial
leader to serve as its new Curator of Maps.  Reporting directly to the
BPL
president, the new Curator of Maps will be a key member of BPL's
management
and will provide strategic leadership in the assessment, organizing,
preservation, acquisition for and program development of the maps
collection.  S/he will play a key role in articulating the vision and
marshalling resources for the BPL's maps collection, bringing the
passion
and dynamic energy to help move the BPL from a repository of maps to a
center for life-long learning. The new Curator also will guide community
outreach, active dissemination of information, and enhanced interaction
with
a wide range of interested general public and scholarly groups. This is
an
exciting opportunity to contribute to the renaissance and revitalization
of
one of the country's most outstanding reservoirs of maps in one of the
first
public library systems in the US.

Challenges for the New BPL Curator of Maps include full assessment of
the
maps collection including need for conservation; development of finding
tools for the collections; outlining how the maps will be structured
within
the library system; hiring and training new staff; crafting development
of
contemporary educational outreach programs for both children and adults;
leveraging technology to present the Map Center on-line; identification
of
donors to allow the collection to attract financial support; and  launch
planning, if not execution, of an inaugural Map exhibition.

Candidate Qualifications include Masters in Library and Information
Science
with demonstrated knowledge and experience in maps collection work
including
preservation and access required; superior ability to assume
responsibility
and supervise the work of others; commitment to library leadership;
initiative and resourcefulness in generating new ideas; demonstrated
ability
to work with patrons of all age groups and enlist the interest and
support
of friends and donors in the development of collections; superior oral
and
written communication skills, able to understand and translate
information
to a range of audiences; professional demeanor; dependability,
enthusiasm,
good judgment, courtesy and an abiding sense of humor. Compensation will
be
both competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate's
experience.  An abbreviated position description may be founde on line
at
http://www.bpl.org/general/jobs.htm. Resumes and cover letters, as well
as
inquiries, applications, and nominations, should be directed to:

Dr. Nancy B. Sobel, Senior Associate, ISAACSON, MILLER, 334 Boylston St.
Suite 500, Boston, MA 02116. Phone: (617) 262-6500. Facsimile: (617)
262-6509. EOE/AA. Our preferred format is via email to
using MS Word.

This is the longer "challenge document."

An Invitation to Apply for the Position of

Curator of Maps

Boston Public Library
Boston, Massachusetts

Mission Statement
  The Boston Public Library's mission is to preserve and provide access
historical record of our society, and to serve the cultural,
educational,
and informational needs of the City and the Commonwealth.

The Search

The Boston Public Library (the BPL) seeks an experienced, creative, and
entrepreneurial leader to serve as its new Curator of Maps.  Reporting
directly to BPL president, Bernard Margolis, the new Curator of Maps
will be
a key member of the BPL's management and will provide strategic
leadership
in the assessment, organizing, preservation, acquisition for and program
development of the map collections.  S/he will play a key role in
articulating the vision and marshalling resources for the BPL's map
collections to bring it from its current potential to the reality of
what it
can be, bringing the passion and dynamic energy to help move the BPL
from a
repository of maps to a center for life-long learning.

The BPL has retained Monroe "Bud" Moseley and Nancy Sobel of the
executive
search firm, Isaacson, Miller to assist in this search. Inquiries,
nominations and applications should be directed to Isaacson, Miller at
the
address listed at the end of this document.  All communications will be
held
in strict confidence.

The Boston Public Library

Since its founding in 1848, the Boston Public Library has been an
innovative
institution, leading the entire public library movement in the US.  The
BPL
was the first publicly supported municipal library in the United States
and
the first public library to allow people to borrow books and materials.
Within 20 years of its founding the Library inaugurated the first branch
library system in the nation and as independent towns were annexed to
the
city their libraries became branches.  In addition to establishing the
first
network of community branches linked to a central library, the Library
pioneered many services that are now commonplace in libraries across the
nation, including full borrowing privileges for all citizens and
specialized
collections and services for children, young adults and senior citizens.
Today, the BPL has the largest per capita branch system in the nation.
With
more than 6 million books, it serves more than 2 million people in its
27
branch libraries around the city (including a business branch in the
financial district) and is one of only two public libraries in the
country
that are members of the Association of Research Libraries. The main
library
in Copley Square is regarded locally as one of Boston's most important
and
beautiful monuments and nationally as one of the most influential works
in
the American architectural movement.

The Library is governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees appointed for
terms of five years by the Mayor of Boston. Support of the Library by
individual leaders and corporations dates back to its founding as an
institution; the Library's founding Trustees, as well as others
throughout
the years, have provided substantial sums to construct or acquire
buildings,
to create or build the collections, to enhance the Library's technology
resources, and to develop its programs.  In 1992, the tradition of
private
support for the Library was extended and strengthened with the creation
of
the Boston Public Library Foundation which now has a 77-member Board of
Directors, nine of whom are the members of the Library's Board of
Trustees.
The Foundation's Board is composed of many highly successful and
respected
corporate, professional, political and philanthropic leaders from all
communities of the City of Boston, many of whom personally have been
positively by the Library. Since its founding, the Foundation has raised
more than $ 58 million from individuals, corporations and foundations.
In
concert with funds raised from the city and state, the moneys have
supported
restoration, renovation, and expansion of the Library including
restoration
of the Library's main reading room and newspaper, catalogue, microtext,
and
periodicals rooms. In addition, funds have been raised to support
outreach
programming, branch-based initiatives, and educational collaboratives
including enhanced technology for all Library patrons and for the
preservation and storage of special collections that are in danger of
deteriorating beyond the point of rescue.

The Map Collections

The BPL has had a long history of interest in maps, which were one of
the
first items acquired in its collections.  When the McKim Building opened
in
1895 one of the first rooms was dedicated to maps.  Maps and atlases are
housed in a variety of location within the BPL; the larger collections
are
in Social Sciences, Fine Arts, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Government
Documents, Prints, and the Microtext Department.  Other pieces are
dispersed
throughout the Library system.
Maps from United States government agencies are received through the
federal
depository program. Atlases and up-to-date collections of local,
regional
and world maps are available in each library with a special collection
available in the Research Library.
Rare Books & Manuscripts houses the American Historical prints,
including
the Benjamin P. Hunt W. Indies Collection which spans the 16th-20th
centuries with rare and early maps and atlases of Europe, the Americas,
and
the world. Researchers can consult European and world maps up to the
mid-18th century and American, particularly New England, Massachusetts,
and
Boston maps, including Bromley Street plans, and waterfront maps.

Current Situation
The library's collection now totals between four and five hundred
thousand
pieces, including the original printing plates for Boston maps and a map
drawn by Paul Revere of where the bodies fell in the Boston Massacre.
However, there has been no official maps' curator for almost a decade.

Under the direction of the Library President, the Curator will exercise
range of responsibilities from assessment, preservation and acquisition
development of exhibition programs for the map collections of the Boston
Public Library. The Curator will also guide community outreach, active
dissemination of information and enhance interaction with a wide range
of
interested general public and scholarly groups.

By building a dedicated team and working with other BPL staff and
institutional programs, the successful candidate will provide vision and
management of the map collection for an extraordinary and beloved
institution.

This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the renaissance and
revitalization of one of the country's most outstanding reservoirs of
maps
in one of the first public -- and still one of its foremost -- library
systems in the United States.

Please see the Appendix for the more formal position description.  An
abbreviated version is also available on line at
http://www.bpl.org/general/jobs.htm.

Challenges for the New BPL Curator of Maps

        In the next 18 months the new curator will have accomplished the
following:

·       Full assessment of the maps collection, including definition of the
scope and the items that are in need of conservation.
·       Development of finding tools for the collections.
·       Outlining how the maps will be structured within the library system,
i.e., which will be kept centrally and which are appropriate for other
locations within the 27 branches.
·       Define new positions, hire and train a talented, dedicated staff.
·       Crafting development of contemporary educational outreach programs
for both children and adults.
·       Leverage technology to present the Map Center on-line, including an
enhanced, dedicated web page.
·       Form an active Friend-of-the-Map Center support group and the
identification of donors to allow the collection to attract financial
support.
·       Launch planning, if not execution, of an inaugural Map exhibition.

Candidate Experience, Qualities, and Qualifications

·       Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university and a
Masters Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited
library school. Subject knowledge and professional experience in maps
and
allied fields and with demonstrated abilities in map collection work
required including preservation and access. Advanced degree in a related
field is desirable. In exceptional instances, specialized education,
training, and/or experience may be substituted for part or all of the
educational requirements.
·       Ten years of appropriate library experience or an equivalent
combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate
ability to do the work.
·       Proven ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
administrative ability, with the capacity to plan and supervise the work
of
others; experience in training and supervision of staff and broad
professional outlook;
·       Initiative in generating new ideas and proven ability to improve
existing work techniques and procedures. Ability to work well with staff
and
public alike.
·       Broad knowledge of library collections; excellent knowledge of maps
and/or professional activity including pertinent literature and
technology
·       Specific knowledge of maps, mapmaking, and current map technologies,
including application of geographic information service technologies.
Broad
acquaintance with the Antiquarian Map Book Dealers and Collectors
·       Demonstrated ability to enlist the interest and support of friends
and donors in the development of collections
·       Demonstration of contributions to the field of maps through
participation in conferences and publications of original work. Ability
work with the various world languages representing the collections;
willingness to use and foster a variety of approaches to create
enthusiasm
and support for maps in widely varying constituencies; ability to work
collaboratively.
·       Knowledge of U.S. federal government mapping and depository program
administered by the U.S. Government Printing Office.
·       Ability to interpret and execute library policy; understanding and
interest in the total development of library resources and services
including the ability to define the role of the Map Center in this total
development
·       Ability to participate in the management of a large and complex
organization.
·       Superior oral and written communication skills including the ability
to understand and translate information to a range of audiences.
·       Superior ability and willingness to assume responsibility.
·       Initiative in generating new ideas.
·       Ability to operate effectively in complex political and bureaucratic
environments.
·       Continuing interest in and ability to improve existing work
techniques and procedures.
·       Demonstrated ability to work successfully with staff and public
alike.
·       Commitment to library leadership.
·       Professional demeanor; tact, dependability, enthusiasm, good
judgment, courtesy and an abiding sense of humor.

Compensation and Location

Compensation will be both competitive and commensurate with the
successful
candidate's experience.  The position will be based in Boston,
Massachusetts.

To Apply

Resumes and cover letters, as well as inquiries, applications, and
nominations, should be directed to:
Nancy B. Sobel, MD, PhD, Senior Associate
ISAACSON, MILLER
334 Boylston Street, Suite 500
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Telephone: (617) 262-6500
Facsimile: (617) 262-6509

  Our preferred format is via email to [log in to unmask], using MS
Word.

The Boston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.

Appendix: Position Description
Boston Public Library Curator of Maps

Basic Function:

Under the direction of the Library President or designee, the Curator of
Maps will be responsible for the maintenance, development and services
of
the map collections of the Boston Public Library both for the general
public
and the scholarly community.
To that effect, (s)he will
·       Plan and supervise the organization, access, services, preservation,
and acquisitions of the collection of maps and atlases in the Boston
Public
Library Map Center and throughout the Boston Public Library system.
·       Initiate and implement the acquisition of new maps and related
materials to strengthen existing library resources, including overseeing
budget for purchase of these materials and seeking opportunities for
external funding for ongoing acquisition needs.
·       Promote understanding of the importance and relevance of maps in the
public library setting.
·       Supervise the organization and cataloging of the collections
including the applications of new technologies in order to facilitate
the
use of the map collection resources.
·       Advise the library administration and other staff in the general
field of maps.

        The Duties and Responsibilities:

·       Administering the daily operations of the Boston Public Library Map
Center.
·       Assuming responsibility for training of the Map Center staff in the
specialized knowledge of the field.
·       Organizing the collections of the Map Center and planning and
carrying out the development of a variety of interactive access
applications, both printing and electronics, to facilitate use of the
collections.
·       Applying digital scanning and other "virtual" technologies in order
to facilitate the collection, organization, preservation and sharing of
Map
Center resources.
·       Initiating and implementing activities which enhance the
appreciation and understanding of maps both within and outside the
library.
This will include coordination, planning, preparation and mounting of
exhibitions, public programs, educational activities, publications,
lectures
and other collaborative and cooperative programs.
·       Creating opportunities to educate the public in the significant
importance and necessity of map collections.
·       Providing direction for the cataloging and retro-conversion of maps.
·       Assessing the needs and resources of the Map Center and
strengthening the collections through purchases and gifts.
·       Advising the library administration in the field of maps.
·       Maintaining professional contacts in the field to further the
objectives of the library.
·       Organizing and implementing activities to enhance understanding of
Map Center resources by children and youth.
·       Cooperating with scholars and institutions to maximize use and
expand the appreciation of Map Center resources in the greater
community.
·       Creating, nurturing and supporting an active Friends of the Map
Center organization.
·       Performing other related duties as required.