From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:34:42 -0600
Subject:        Discussion Paper on adding coordinates to authority records
Date:   Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:19:26 -0500
From:   Jimmie Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear MAPS-L subscribers,
        I am writing to call your attention to Discussion paper
2006-DP01, Recording geographic coordinates in the MARC 21 Authority
Format.
http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2006/2006-dp01.html
        The basic ideas in this discussion paper have been talked about
among map librarians for a couple of years now, and everyone has been
very enthusiastic in supporting it and helping to develop the paper
(especially the Map Cataloging Committee and Rebecca Guenther). I feel
it has enormous potential for connecting users to information they need
through the geographic coordinates of places.
        The last section of the paper lists questions for further
discussion. While the primary idea of including the 034 field for
geographic coordinates in authority records for places is clear and
obviously worthwhile, some of the details are not yet worked out. I am
anxious that they be thoroughly discussed and successfully resolved so
that we can progress to writing the proposal and getting it adopted.
Please try to find time to read and send comments to this list.
        Your input is very important. Thanks and best regards, Jimmie

Jimmie Lundgren
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
352-392-0352