From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:43:43 -0600
Subject:        Re: Cadastral vs. Plat
Date:   Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:41:42 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Angie,

I wouldn't say you are wrong, but I think it was a correct decision from
LC's point. From a patron's perspective, maybe and maybe not. I would
say that most (all?) of our undergrads would not know what EITHER of
these is if you said "plat map" or "cadastral map". Once you get up to
the grad students, some might know the difference but I'm betting most
would not, though more might recognize the term "cadastral". Researchers
are a different story -- but as long as your local system deals well
with cross references (ours does) in a sense it is a moot point because
if someone were to type in "Plat maps" they would be directed to
"Cadastral maps" and a long list of materials falling into that
category. Another point to make, how many start their searches with a
subject search? The nice thing about the f/g headings is that we can
build these into facets in our new/newer discovery interfaces, something
I look forward to seeing in our situation in a few months as we launch
Summon.

Of course, we catalogers can also always make such situations easier by
also supplying appropriate related topical terms, in this case "Real
property" and "Landowners". Then one can also argue the side of keyword
searching, in which any item with the words "plat map" on it that is
recorded in the title or any other field (notes /can/ be useful here!)
then they're going to be retrieved also.

I don't think all is lost here....

Paige