From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:08:54 EDT
2 messages.-------------------------Johnnie

>From: D Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:31:45 GMT
>Subject: Re: Trivia Question - largest map on / of earth

I would suggest that the ONC series would not count as the World's
largest map as it only cover the land areas.

The TPC series has the same basic coverage, although is currently
 incomplete in Africa and South America

In the mid 1960s there was a World map series published at
1:2,500,000 scale, the index of which indicates full gobal coverage.
This was produced in Eastern Europe and was distributed in the west
by Pergamon Press. I expect most better map libraries will have this.

The original oreder form for the series in 1966 states:

'The first and only comprehensive and uniform world map series, in
244 sheets, scale 1:2,500,000. Paper size 80*100cm.'

The full set of maps cost $750 or stlg250, and was expected to be
completed in 1969.

David Forrest

David Cobb wrote:

> Babson College, located in Babson Park, MA, claims to have the largest
> relief map of the United States and the World's largest revolving globe.
> Now, there may be a larger globe that does not revolve?

> David A. Cobb                           Tel (617) 495-2417
> Harvard Map Collection                  FAX (617) 496-0440
> Harvard University                      E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
> Cambridge, MA 02138                     http://icg.harvard.edu/~maps
>                         VE * RI * TAS
How about that right-reading map shown in Raisz's, General Cartography,
Fig. 246. "Mapparium in the Christian Science Building in Boston." 30
feet in diameter. Is it still in existence?