From:
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2013 09:17:31 -0500
Subject:        Re: Standards for measuring map collection storage capacity?
Date:   Wed, 1 May 2013 10:04:02 -0400
From:   Fry, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
CC:     [log in to unmask]

Brendan,
Six or eight years ago I had a similar question, and I still have a
compilation of replies and/or posts I dug up from the list archives. In
short, I've never heard of any sheet map collection measurement units
except "shelves". Which, for a whole host of reasons--drawer size, map
size, map thickness, usage patterns, use of folders/dividers, presence
of backing or encapsulation materials, etc.--is only partially instructive.

Here's my compilation:

HelenJane Armstrong, Univ. of Florida (ret.)
The question concerning map and map case weights was addressed in a classic
article by Catherine Bahn, Library of Congress Geography and Map
Division.  It
originally appeared in the Special Libraries Association, Geography and Map
Division "Bulletin" No.46 (1961), pp.3-17.  It was later reprinted in "MAP
LIBRARIANSHIP: Readings" compiled by Roman Drazniowsky and published in
1975.
Both are titled "Map Libraries--Space and Equipment"  The map space
estimates
were also addressed in "MAP LIBRARIANSHIP: Readings" by Mary Galneder, Univ-
ersity of Wisconsin in her article "Storage and Preservation".  Mary's
article was reprinted from "Special Libraries" vol.61, no.6(1970).
pp.271-274.
In "Map Librarianship", Mary Larsgaard" cites these article but does not
reprint any of the information.

Johnnie Sutherland, University of Georgia (ret.)
I would like to add a little warning about the case weight
loads found in the literature.  They are mainly averages done with a
specific
number of maps per drawer, usually the recommended 200 sheets.  Actual
maximum
load can be higher.  Here at Georgia I have five high case stacks and some
archival storage stacks with over 12,000 maps per standard case stack
footprint
The cases with the NOAA charts are well over 300 lb/sq ft.  Jim Minton at
Tennessee has given me figures of over 340 lb for some of his case stacks.

===============================
We weighed some very heavily stuffed 5 drawer Hamiltons and came up with a
case total of 500 lbs.

Frances Woodward, University of British Columbia
I was looking for this recently, as there is a question of the map
library being moved to an area which we don't think has adequate floor
load capacity.  Here are a few references:
* Beverly CHEN, "Map library design: guidelines, ideas, tips and
pitfalls," ACMLA Bulletin, no. 89 (Dec. 1993);
* Catherine BAHN, "Map libraries - space and equipment," SLA G&M
Division Bulletin, no. 46 (Dec. 1961);
* Mary GALNEDER, "Equipment for map libraries," Special Libraries, v. 61
no. 6 (1970).

Arlyn Sherwood, IL State Library (ret.)
There's been a lot of literature over the years on moving map collections,
especially in the SLA G&M Bulletin, which probably gives this figure.
But our
stacks, which includes the map cabinet rooms, were built to the spec of
being
able to hold 200 pounds per square foot, I think, and we're still on the 3rd
and 4th floors after 6 years.

Amy Ciccone
University of Southern California
===================================

A key source used by library architects, planners, and designers,
"Planning academic and research library buildings" by Keyes Metcalf (2nd
ed., 1986, ed. by Leighton & Weber) states the following (p.183, "Maps and
broadsides"):

A commonly available case made of steel is fabricated in units of five
drawers; the cases are typically set up with two or three units plus a
base, which permits use of the top surface for sorting or viewing the maps.
Cases have been put together that are 6 ft high or higher, but sheets and
folders stored at this height may be damaged when they are removed from or
replaced in the cases.  When a drawer is so high, one's vision is cut off
unless a stool is used when filing.  Weight can become a significant factor
when these cases are assembled to greater heights.

Chris Kimball
===============
In my experience, 40 USGS quad sheets(approx 22"x26") weigh 3 lbs.

Daniel T. Seldin, Univ. of Indiana (ret.)
Catherine I. Bahn published an article giving the weight of loaded map
cases that gave the weight of 200 maps in a 2" drawer in a 46" map case
as 68 pounds.

The article, "Map libraries--space and equipment was published in the
SLA Geography and Map Division Bulletin, No 46, 1961, p. 3-17.  This
article was reprinted in Map librarianship : readings / compiled by
Roman Drazniowsky.  Metuchen, N.J. : The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1975. p.
364-384.  The table of weights is included in the WAML Tool box on the
web at http://www.waml.org/mapcabwt.html.

David Glen
===========
When I put 80 USGS 7.5' quads on the balance scale I get just over 6 lbs.
The older quads were printed on heavier paper and these 80 sheets
contain a mix of older and newer maps.

Kathleen Weessies, Michigan State Univ.
When I was looking into this several months ago I found wildly different
numbers from two sources.  I wouldn't take any one number as gospel.  I
received an email in reply to my request last May from a cartographer in
California who said he put 80 USGS 7.5' topos on a scale and he got just
over 6 pounds. He notes that the older quads were printed on thicker
paper and his 80 sheets were a mixture of old & new.

Hope this helps.
mf

--
Michael Fry