From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:54:27 EST
These two messages are from Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paige Andrew)
>Subject: Map Trucks Feedback and Request

Hello folks!

About three weeks ago Steve Rogers inquired about the possibility of a brand
of truck made for transporting maps, that was built to store and move maps
appropriate to their size and complexity.  Since then at least three
individuals have responded to Steve's question.  I will also give an outline
of the type/size of trucks we have here at PSU, then following that I have a
request to make of everyone. About our map trucks:

Made by Gryphon Industries of Canada. Built with steel welded frame, with a
powder-coated beige paint finish. Casters are steel/rubber and 5 inches
diameter. Built with six shelves, bottom shelf is concave in shape to hold
rolled maps so they won't fall off.

Dimensions: 42.5 inches high from floor to top of handles; 38.5 inches high
from floor to top of top shelf
            55.5 inches wide from outside handle to outside handle; 48 inch
wide shelves (inside handle to
                  inside handle)
            31.5 inches deep

            Top five shelves are 3.75 inches apart, space between 5th and
6th shelves is 9.5 inches

Bottom line, expensive!  These are 3 for $750 plus $50 shipping/handling

I won't go into detail about what transpired between the original plans for
who we were going to contract out to build these with and what we eventually
got, suffice it to say we were originally going to work with a local vendor
and with wood...

Now for my request. After my initial response to Steve and the list Larry
Cruse emailed me with an excellent idea and asking me if I would be willing
to coordinate it. I agreed. The idea is for individuals who responded to
Steve's question (and those who didn't but do have/use a type of hand truck
for maps in their institutions) to take some photos of their trucks and send
them to me, along with a similar listing of specifications like I gave
above. I will compile the photos, specs, and general information about the
institution and who uses the trucks and send on to Larry to put in the next
WAML IB as a photo essay!! In this way we could publish an "article" in one
place, with accompanying photographs, where folks looking for this kind of
information in the future could easily track down the information and make
their own comparisons.

So, how about working with me on this folks! So, Betty Graziani, if you
don't mind having somebody at USGS take a couple of photos, black and white
preferred but color is okay, include the negatives too if you can and the
other 2 or 3 of you who recently responded to Steve's question do the same
and mail them along with:

A. Specifications as to size, what materials made of, manufacturer, and cost
if known

B. A paragraph or two about how they are used in your organization and where
(I freely admit that ours get used
   more for processing shelves than for moving maps, so there is an example
for you)

C. Your name, address, etc. so that others may contact you with further
questions

Larry's one guideline for the photographs is that you have at least one
picture with a human being standing next to the cart to give "scale" to the
picture, making it visually easier to see the relationship of the size of
the cart versus the people who use them.

So, come on folks, snap those pictures and make *your* cart famous!! I look
forward to receiving these in the coming weeks. Larry is aiming for the Nov.
issue of the WAML IB, but if I could get this completed before annual
conference time in June/July it would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Paige

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paige Andrew)
>Subject: map truck followup

Oops! Just caught a portion of Larry's email message to me that I thought I
had better pass along to those of you willing to share photos/information
about your map trucks with me:

Larry says "Please offer volunteers a free copy of the issue in which their
photo appears--it will be out in July"...  so, please send these along
quickly so that I can get them compiled and mailed on with a brief
introduction as quickly as possible (sorry about mentioning November in my

In fact, I would really appreciate it if those of you who read the previous
message and decide to participate could send me a sentence saying you will
be sending something soon, so I know what to expect.

Thanks again,

Paige
Mr. Paige G. Andrew
Maps/Nonbook Cataloger