From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:01:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Historic topo scanning project
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:49:24 -0400
From: John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

My library is not participating in the historic topo scanning project
but draft minutes from the Delaware Geographic Data Committee includes
slides from a USGS presentation as a PDF file at this URL:
http://calendar.delaware.gov/egov/calendar.nsf/*/3CB895AFA58A59D8852577EE004CB220/$file/20110310_dgdc_meeting_minutes.pdf?openelement
(or click the link to draft minutes from
http://dgdc.blogs.delaware.gov/2011/03/11/draft-minutes-031011-dgdc/ )

On page 62 is the USGS presentation about the project to produce scanned
historical topographic Maps with these goals:

  Scan approximately 250,000 printed quadrangles – all maps, all scales

  Use consistent, high quality specifications

  Scan State coverages in the same order as US Topo maps are released –
  approximately 40,000 maps by the end of 2010

Perhaps the project's activity is not yet visible to map users?

John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717-5267
302 831-8671