From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:46:36 -0400
Subject: for those who will be at ALA in Orlando
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:25:38 -0400
From: nkandoian <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
For those of you map librarians who occasionally have a reader working on
an Armenian family history, where there is a need to locate a late 19th or
early 20th century place in the Ottoman Empire, I am going to be giving a
presentation at ALA which is not on the MAGERT schedule.  It will have some
broader application, too, for those interested in reviewing methods for
locating historical places that might be hard to find because of passing
time, population and political changes, and language and alphabet
variations in an area of cultural mix. The session is scheduled to overlap
the MAGERT Sunday afternoon program, but I'm scheduled to be the last one
on the program, so you might catch my talk if you come when the MAGERT
program is over.

The session is being co-sponsored by the Armenian Librarians and Libraries
Information Committee of the ALA Ethnic and Multicultural Information
Exchange Round Table, the Genealogy Committee of the Reference and User
Services Association, and the International Relations Committee of the
Public Library Association.  It's called "The People of Ararat:  In Search
of Our Armenian Roots," and it's scheduled for Sunday, June 27, from 4 to
5:30 p.m. at the Convention Center, Room 222B.  For details, see
http://home.att.net/~amatosian/2004genealogyflyer.pdf

I gave a Providence version of the talk at the annual NEMO meeting last
week.  The Orlando version will lack the background on the Providence
Armenian community, and will have instead a short addendum showing some
evidence of early Armenian communities in the U.S. on real estate maps.

Nancy Kandoian
Map Division
New York Public Library