From:
"Virginia Hetrick, in sunny Calif" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 16:45:43 EST
I just received this note from one of our local trivia keepers and
thought y'all might find it interesting.  Like Chuck, I certainly
hope this isn't the state of geographic knowledge here.  For that
reason, I've also forwarded it to some friends in the geography
department here.....  Until I hear from them, I think it's a
tossup between geographically undesireable and ignorant!  ;-)

vh
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Date:    Mon, 14 Mar 94 10:05 PST
         Virginia Hetrick            <[log in to unmask]>,
         Chuck Lasky                          <[log in to unmask]>
         Geographically Undesireable - or Ignorant?

I shouldn't have been surprised when I read the following in today's LA
TIMES, Sports, page 1C and yet I found myself aghast at the ignorance
expressed:

       '"To tell you the truth, I didn't even know Tulsa was in
     Oklahoma," Ed O'Bannon said.
       'He wasn't alone.  Tyus Edney and Charles O'Bannon didn't
     know it, either, but Coach Jim Harrick siad that's nothing
     to be surprised about.
       '"California guys are like that," Harrick said.  "They don't
     know past Yuma, Ariz."'

How nice to know that the geographical knowledge of California college
and university male basketball players doesn't extend beyond Arizona.
I grow more and more cynical about the educational system in this
"island" of California because of the continued surprises I receive
that show the lack of common, or what should be common knowledge and/or
sense.