Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 12:37:05 -0500
Subject:        Scanner & Printer for Map Collections/GIS Services
Date:   Tue, 15 May 2007 10:14:01 -0700
From:   Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there,

With apologies, I haven't kept up on the latest equipment, but can share
our experience.

In 1998, we purchased an Epson 836XL for 11 x17 scanning.
It receives daily use and we are very pleased with its performance.

In 2004, we purchased the following:

11 x 17 HP 5500n color laserjet
One of my favorite pieces of equipment. Handles large files without
problems and produces quality prints quickly.

42" HP Designjet 5500ps UV Printer
Cynthia, your choice of 60" HP Designjet 5500ps makes good sense. You
may not need the 60" daily but it is really nice to have it when you
need it. (and your geology faculty will love it!) Be sure to order it
with the permanent UV inks…different model number.

54" Colortrac Scanner
We recently had to replace the lamps (they recommend leaving the scanner
on 24-7 so it maintains a constant internal temp). Apparently, as bulbs
age the color temperature changes. Cost was reasonable, about $85, but
it would have cost us $1,800 to purchase a day of company support, if we
had not replaced them ourselves. If you are doing it in-house, 2 brave
souls are required.

------------

If the same brand equipment for both scanner and printer had been
available when we purchased, my choices would have been different.
Because of compatibility issues between different brands. The issues we
have had are primarily color balance between the two units and monitor.
It may be necessary to spend additional funds to purchase software (they
call it a "rip program") to help correct that. Another $1,600-$3,000
depending upon what you buy.

By the way, having a 30" monitor is awesome for working with the large
format scanner and printer.

Cheers,
Janet Collins
Huxley Map Library