Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:24:39 EST
I would like to call y'alls attention to a couple of exceptionally
informative and beautiful maps I recently came across.  One is a map
of Central Park in NYC and the other is a map of Branch Brook Park
near Patterson, NJ.  They are both published by "Friends of (their
respective Parks)" in cooperation with the Greensward Foundation.
What seems different about them to me is that the maps are not merely
an adjunct to text and pretty pictures; they are an integral part the
historic and cultural message.  The Foundation has had a very nice
map of Prospect Park in Brooklyn available for some time and is
currently working on a map of Fort Green Park.

The cartographers for these maps were George Colbert and Guenter
Vollath.

There are Friends groups for Central Park, Prospect Park, Cadwalader
Park (Trenton, NJ), Fort Greene Park, Druid Hill Park (Baltimore,
MD), and Branch Brook Park.  The Greensward Foundation coordinates
finances for all these groups and publishes a Newsletter.  The
address for the Greensward Foundation is Lenox Hill P.O. Box 610,
N.Y., N.Y. 10021.

Didn't mean this to be such a commercial but I have always had a soft
spot in my heart for Central and Prospect Parks and those who find
them important and interesting.

Tom Hanley, Department of Chemistry and Geology, Columbus
College, 4225 University Ave., Columbus, Georgia 31907-5645.
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: 706-568-2075 (secretary and answering machine).
       706-568-2074 (office)
FAX: 706-569-3133