From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:35:43 EST
2 messages.---------------------------Johnnie

>From:          "Chris Perkins" <[log in to unmask]>
>To:            [log in to unmask]
>Date:          Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:12:08 BST0GMT
>Subject:       Re: Fictional Maps

More on fiction and Tolkien:

On Tolkien and maps check out the biography of his father by
Christopher Tolkien. This is rather different from most
accounts because it explores how Tolkien used the maps during his
imagining of Middle Earth, as well as their subsequent use in its
interpretation.
Tolkien, C. (1989) The treason of Isengard: the history of the Lord of
the Rings Part 2. London: HarperCollins Especially pp 295- 323

A useful critical source about maps as icons, motifs and metaphors in
fiction is Huggan, Graham (1994) Territorial disputes. Toronto:
University of Toronto Press.

Chris Perkins
Department of Geography
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
Tel +44 0161 275 3657
Fax +44 0161 275 7878

>Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:00:43 -0400
>From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Fictional Maps

Diana Wynne Jones wrote a parody of travel guide books and the whole
sword-amd-pectorals genre of fantasy novels, called "The Tough Guide to
Fantasyworld" or something to that effect. Published only in the UK as
far as I know, but the first entry is something like: "first, you need a
map..."

I am intrigued by the description of Swithin's "Rockall" books, as a
question I have been teasing around in my own head for years is whether
it is possible to create a map as in independent work of fiction.
Paintings and texts and performances can do this, but is there something
inherent inthe nature of maps that in order to be effective, they must
be tied (1) to the reader/viewer's experience, (2) their knowledge of
the real world, or (3) their experience of a fictional place created in
another medium.

--
Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.

Publisher of PROFESSOR PATHFINDER Maps
Production Office (White River Jct, VT): [log in to unmask]
Business and Sales Office (Minneapolis, MN): [log in to unmask]