From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:30:19 -0500
Subject:        Update on Problems with Superscript Characters in Connexion
Browser and Client
Date:   Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:26:00 -0500
From:   Caplan,Ellen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

To Maps-L subscribers--
I saw that this morning's Maps-L digest has some information forwarded
from Gwen Curtis concerning coordinate statements being truncated on map
records that are added or edited on either Connexion browser or client.
I have some additional information to add to that statement.  When we
started working on the problem we thought this only affected the
statements ending with degrees, not minutes and seconds.  However, we
did find that statements ending in minutes and seconds were also
affected.  We are working to correct the problem.  As soon as we have
this fixed I will let you know.  In addition, we plan to scan for map
records with incomplete coordinate information in field 255 $c and
correct the coordinate statemens based on data from field 034.  And, if
any duplicate records were created because of this problem we will merge
them as they are reported.

The following is the amended message I sent to OCLC-Cat on Wednesday.
My apologies.  I should have posted this to Maps-L as well as to OCLC-Cat.

Ellen Caplan

-----

To OCLC-Cat subscribers--
Last week users reported problems with bibliographic records containing
superscript characters in both the browser and the client. These
problems also affect records with subscript and Greek characters. The
problems occur when these characters appear at or near the end of a
subfield or field. Any record containing these characters can be
affected, but it appears to happen mainly on map records that contain a
coordinate statement.  It does not seem to matter whether the statement
ends with degrees and/or minutes and/or seconds.  Examples: a
superscript 0, parens and period appear at the end the 255 field when
coordinates are recorded or a superscript number is the last character
in a signature statement recorded in a 500 field.

The following problems have been reported:
--An individual record may not be retrieved by OCLC number.
--An error may result when a user tries to retrieve a record from a
brief or truncated display.
--When a user enters a field ending with these characters and validates,
some of the data in the field may drop out or the user may receive an
error. --When an existing record containing these characters at the end
of a field is validated, the user receives an error.
--An error may result when the holdings are updated, or the holdings are
updated but the data around the end superscript may drop out on the
user’s record.--An error results when a user tries to add a new record
to WorldCat. It appears that the record is not added when it really is.
Note: The user should check to ensure that the record was actually added
before trying to add another.--An error may result when a user tries to
lock an existing record. If the user tries to replace the record,
another error may result but the record may still be replaced. Note: The
user should check to ensure that the record was actually replaced before
trying to replace again.

OCLC is working to resolve this problem. We will advise users as soon as
we have a solution.  In addition, after the problem has been resolved,
OCLC plans to scan for map records with incomplete coordinate
information in field 255 subfield $c and correct the coordinate
statements based on data from field 034.

--Ellen Caplan
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
6565 Frantz Rd.
Dublin, OH 43017
800-848-5878, ext. 6472
Fax: 614-718-7178