From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:09:48 -0500
Subject:        RE: Lao language placename gazetteer
Date:   Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:08:38 -0500
From:   Lee, Kent (EVC) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Brendan, list:

There is a Soviet-produced placenames gazetteer for Laos.  The Worldcat
citation is:
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/24276960&referer=brief_results
Looks like at least three libraries have it.
It is trilingual, Russian-Laotian-English, over 2500 names, quite a
serious work at 468 pages.  It was related to the major topographic
production work the Soviets did over Laos in the 1980s, at 1:100,000
scales and smaller, on behalf of the Laotian government.  (The maps
themselves are devoid of any Lao-script placeneames.  The placenames,
about 80,000 of them countrywide in the 1:100k series, appear to be
romanized according to a specific standard, but I am not sure which.

Similar trilingual gazetteers exist for a number of other countries, the
formula is usually Russian-English-local.  Actually quite useful
publications.

There is also a 1967 Soviet transliteration guide for Laotian names.  It
is a current standard so it probably informed the above publications.
It is also trilingual.  I do not think any libraries have it; let me
know offline if you need a copy.

Best,

Kent

Kent D. Lee