From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:12:21 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:20:19 +0000
From: Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Filemaker Pro for cataloguing?
Sender: Terry <[log in to unmask]>

Hope someone can help on this:

I have just been asked to take over a small map library which has been
somewhat neglected for the past five years. I have inherited several index
box files, home made accessions lists and a pile of maps, books and atlases
some of which haven't even been opened.

I am a cartographer by profession and have a Mac G3 and a copy of Filemaker
Pro 2.1. (I HAVE NO LIBRARY TRAINING! sorry if that offends any trained
librarians!)

Is there anyone out there who has successfully used Filemaker in a map
library context or know of any software that could be used on a mac?

I realise that I would probably need several years to fully catalogue our
50,000+ maps so am looking for something that I could implement immediately
with a view to perhaps transferring the data at a later date.
All I need at the moment is a catalogue that will give very basic details of
scale, series, title, date, where kept, accession number, the rest can
follow later.

If a mac system is not suitable for such a set-up then please advise on what
I should be asking for.

Thanks

Terry

--