From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:26:23 -0600
Subject:        RE: raised relief maps
Date:   Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:08:07 -0500
From:   April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Robert

No one seems to have replied yet about raised relief maps.

I've seen various types of these maps in several large map collections.
They can be as simple as the modern plastic versions which look to all
intents and purposes like 'bumpy' topo quads, or as complicated as
landscape representations made of wood and plaster (with little trees
and buildings on them) that take up a whole room.

I've not had to face the question of discarding them, as I've been
fortunate enough to spend most of my time as a map librarian/curator in
collections that never threw anything out. It would seem there are three
main issues:

Access: are these maps included in your catalog? If they aren't, how
will users know they are there in order to ask to see them? It's
unfortunate to justify discarding something because no one has ever used
it when the users never knew it was there in the first place. This is
certainly not unique to your collection, although fortunately this is
decreasing as more maps are cataloged and included in OPACs, etc.

Retrieval/replacement: These maps are always fragile and require careful
handling to get them to a place the user can consult them and back into
storage without damage. Even the small plastic versions will crack as
the plastic becomes more brittle over time. Sometimes the care needed
discourages use, either by the staff who don't want to go to the
trouble, or by the users who don’t want to put staff to the trouble. A
lot depends on your general policies. If you have materials that are
retrieved by staff anyway, these simply fall into the category of more
of the same, but gently please! If not, it's an issue.

Storage: Depending on the map, they can sometimes be stored in the
drawer of a map cabinet (although not stacked, so one map per drawer,
which eats up a lot of space), or lying on the top of the case; they can
be stored in Mylar sleeves and hung, usually in a specially-constructed
housing; or they can be stored horizontally on oversized shelves (more
the warehouse type than the library type). This last often requires
additional protection, such as a box. This is an additional expense to
consider. I've seen the hanging Mylar sleeves approach at the Library of
Congress G&M, for relatively small and new 'bumpy' topo quads; it looked
impressive. I've seen the other approaches in several places. All
depends on the size and fragility of the material.

Balancing out these 'issues' is the unique and quite fascinating
perspective you get on a landscape when using raised relief maps. It's a
wonderful way to see the land in three dimensions, second only to a
window seat in a low flying airplane!

I would suggest you investigate how your library came to have them in
the first place--were they acquired for a specific reason? And are there
any potential uses for them now--if people knew you had them? If you do
decide to discard them, please offer them to others collections before
they go in the bin. They are a bit of a luxury, but a really wonderful one!

Hope this helps.

April

April Carlucci

Catalog Librarian for Maps