From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 12:23:49 EST
A reply to the Jefferys' question that is quoted in the first part of this
message is attached at the end of the quote.----------Johnnie

---------------------------------------

      Mon, 17 Jan 1994 12:44:34 EST
         RE: Jefferys Map of New England (1755)

------------Question that was asked------------------------------------

        Has anyone investigated the sources used by Thomas Jefferys in
compiling his "Map of the Most Inhabited Part of New England...."?  This map is
described along with a photograph of it in John R. Sellers, Maps and Charts of
North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789.  The Jefferys map is unusual in
including a long list of sources.  From what I can gather from a few scattered
references, no one has succeeded in identifying most of them.

        I am particularly interested in identifying the sources used for the
Long Island section of the map.  Although the Jefferys map is not regarded as
particularly accurate, the Long Island section seems to have been the model for
all of the better maps of the area produced between 1755 and 1800.  I am
working on a book on the mapping of Long Island as a sabbatical project, and I
plan to go to London in a couple of months to look for Revolutionary era
manuscript maps.  If the sources used for the Jefferys map have not been
identified, is there any place in Britain where I might be able to track them
down other than the British Library and the Public Record Office?

There is a brief discussion of the Jefferys New England map in `North America
at the Time of the Revolution ...with notes by Louis De Vorsey.. Part II
Lympne Castle, Harry Margary, 1974.  This also includes a list of references.
The map is J1 to J4 in the series.
Joan Winearls University of Toronto Library