Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:26:38 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map Database / Reference Resources?
Date:   Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:06:53 -0400
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Maps are finding their way into some journal databases, and databases of
encyclopedic data sometimes have them listed.

Interestingly, I have found this a challenge as we get requests for maps
all the time that I know appear in journals, newspapers, or books. I have
been compiling an index of maps in these sources and have been considering
the idea of getting other map librarians to assist. My current database is
small, but I am starting to put together a list of titles that I review
that have maps regularly. I am always on the lookout for maps wherever I go
and keep notes to input into my index.

It has come in handy as often I can send someone to a journal that has a
good map for their particular topic.

I do not know what form this will take in the end but it will start as a
simple index/database that will be electronic at first.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672