From:
Chris Ziegler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 10:25:47 EDT
Since 1983, the Map Collection of the University of Arizona Library
has been using an automated circulation system.  Until Feb. 1993 we
used the GEAC system; the Library has now switched to the III system.
We are currently dealing with some problems created by the switch-
over; some records did not migrate.  This has been true library-wide
and at times there have been long lines of patrons waiting at the
Library's main circ desk while staff manually entered records.  A
cleanup of the database, in time, will eliminate these problems.

In 1983, when the Library originally began using the GEAC system, there
were no electronic records to feed into the system, except for a few
books and atlases in the collection, so, it was necessary to manually enter
a simple bibliographic record for every map sheet in the collection as well
as the remainder of the bound volumes.  This took 2 years as no funding was
provided for this project.  We did it as time allowed, but gave it top
priority.  We entered records only for those items we circulated, so, many
things were not entered at first.  Later, again as time allowed, we
finished up entering all of our records.

A bar code was attached in the margin of each sheet, near the call number
(which is usally placed in the upper right corner of each sheet). If
there was no room in that area of the sheet we placed it on the back of
the sheet under the call number.  We were concerned before we started this
placement of barcodes that we would have a problem of bulges in the map
cases.  In fact this has not been a problem.  We use vertical planfiles
in the U of A Map Collection.  For quadrangle storage, a standard sized case
has a dividiing panel through the center from fron to back; this creates
a double-wide row of map folders in the case.  Even in this instance
where the sheets are pretty precisely aligned, there has not been a
noticible bulger or thickness which has created any problems.

Christine Ziegler
Map Collection
University of Arizona Library
Tucson  AZ  85721