From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 07:57:30 -0500
Subject: [ANZMapS] NLA online map series indexes reach 500!!!
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 03:22:38 +0000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: AMC <[log in to unmask]>, mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

The NLA has today passed the 500-mark in its uploading of online map
indexes for its map series.

Indexes 497 to 504, uploaded today, will be live for you all tomorrow
(Friday) after our overnight computer update.
They are:

Melanesia 500k 1940s-50s
Fiji 250k 1942-50s (2 records eah with the same index)
Fiji 250k 1960s-current
New Caledonia 50k geology 1960s-
New Caledonia 112k(!) 1942
New Caledonia 200k 1960s
New Caledonia 200k 1990s-

To search for catalogue records with map indexes, search for <"index
only indicating"> in the search text box.

[this is because all records with attached indexes have a link to the
index as a text string: "index only indicating National Library of
Australia holdings". You can also search for <"index only"> but this
brings up an extra 2 dozen records at the end of the list that are not
map series with online indexes.]

To search for map series with online inexes, covering a particular
country/region/island, just add the country/reigon/islan name after the
string above.
eg search for <"index only" Indonesia>  or <"index only" Sumatra>

Of the 504 records with online indexes, 490 are for map series, 13 for
books (a series of gazetteers, and other books which come with map sets)
and 1 is a map series but incorrectly identified as a 'journal'... I
will get this fixed.

Also, of the 504 records, I am aware of 6 that have technical issues and
do not work properly (either the thumbnail doesn't show, or it does, but
clicking on it or the link in the record gives an error message). We are
endeavouring to fix these issues.

There are another 200 or so indexes available in our reading room, but
the series are uncatalogued at present. Our noble map cataloguing team
are working through the SE Asian uncatalogued series to get them all
online asap. Stay turned.

In light of the workshop on online clickable indexes at the ANZMapS
conference last week, we hope to digitise a number of WW@ map sets and
make them available clicking on the online indexes... Stay tuned once more.

Brendan

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Map Curator
Map Section