From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:26:18 -0500
Subject:        Printing/Copying/Scanning Policies
Date:   Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:49:25 -1000
From:   G. Salim Mohammed <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

 I am interested in knowing how you handle printing, copying and
scanning requests for, primarily your maps that are *not* in the public
domain and reconcile with fair use.  I do, for example, like to help a
recent professor's request to scan some maps that she could use to show
in her class (as part of something she can use regularly in subsequent
classes)... but these particular maps are copyrighted--yes, I can have
her borrow the maps.... just wondering what your library would do.

Currently I have this statement up on our website:

"MAGIS will not reproduce any items that do not belong in the public
domain, unless the user obtains express permission from the publisher
specifying that the object will be used for academic purposes." We will
consider other requests that might fall under the purview of the "fair
use" under the Copyright Law (Title 17 of the US Code). Fair use is
defined as that which is "not used for any purpose other than private
study, scholarship or research."

I hate to point blank say no, we can't, if indeed there's some other
option. I have anecdotal evidence where some libraries allow for a scan
of part of a map or the entire map at a much lower resolution.

Please report to the list, or if you prefer, to me directly. I can then
report back to the lists after removing any identifying information.

Thank you, Salim

--
G. Salim Mohammed, Maps/GIS Librarian
[log in to unmask] | 808-956-0833

http://magis.manoa.hawaii.edu

University of Hawai'i at Manoa Library
2550 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA

"Live simply so others can simply live." -Gandhi.