From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:20:49 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: IFLA - Oslo Final Program Schedule
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005
From: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

This is the most up to date information on the IFLA Geography and Map
Libraries Section program for Oslo and The World Library and Information
Conference, August 14 - 18, 2005.  If you have any questions about the
program or current activities of the G&M Section, like the Survey on
Paper Maps in Libraries, please feel free to contact me before
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 at:  [log in to unmask]

David C. McQuillan, chair
IFLA Geography and Map Libraries Section

Additional program information on the meetings in Oslo may be found at:
  www.ifla.org

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC  29201

Phone:  (803) 777-4723
Fax:  (803) 777-4661
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

SCHEDULE

World Library and Information Congress

Geography and Map Libraries Section
71st IFLA General Conference and Council
Oslo Spektrum
Oslo, Norway
2005

Friday, August 12

13:30 – 17:30
Registration Opens
Oslo Spektrum

15:00 – 18:00
Special Libraries Division Coordinating Board I (#4)
Gamlebyen Room, Radisson SAS Plaza (R)

Saturday, August 13

8:30 – 11:20
Genealogy and Local History Section Standing Committee I (#16)
Gamlebyen Room (R)

14:30 – 17:20
Geography and Map Libraries Section Standing Committee I (#46)
Christiania A, Clarion Hotel Royal Christiania (C)

18:00 – 19:00
National Caucuses

Canada (#58) – Holmenkollen (R)
French Speaking (#59) – Vampyr (R)
German Speaking (#60) – Christiania A (C)
Netherlands Speaking (#61) – Oslosal (C)
Portuguese Speaking (#62) – Gamlebyen (R)
CIS (#63) – Film (R)
Nordic Countries (#64) – Christiania B/C (C)
UK (#65) – Oslosal B (C)
USA (#66) – Olympia (R)
Africa, Asia & Oceania, and Latin America & Carribbean
        (#67) – Kunst (R)
Spanish Speaking (#68) – Oslosal C (C)
Chinese Speaking (#69) – Hall C, Folketshus

Evening
Reception for IFLA Officers (on invitation only)

Sunday, August 14

8:30 – 10:00
IFLA Council I (#70)

10:45 – 12:45
Opening Ceremony (#71)
Oslo Spektrum

12:45 – 18:00
Exhibition Opening
Oslo Spektrum

13:45 – 15:45
Newcomer’s Session (#73)
Check IFLA Program Schedule

16:00 – 16:30
Special Libraries (Division II) Coordinating Board Extraordinary Meeting
to Elect PC Representative (#79)
Holmenkollen (R)

16:00 – 18:00
Exhibition Opening Party (#78)
Oslo Spektrum

Monday, August 15

Morning
Oslo Walking Tour (*)
3 hours – Euro 20

13:00 – 14:00
IFLA Booth in Exhibits

18:00 – 20:00
National Library Opening
Drammensveien 42

Tuesday, August 16

8:30 – 10:30
Joint Program – Genealogy and Local History/Geography and Map Libraries
Sections
Navigating the World of Our Ancestors (Part 1) (#107)
Munch Salen (R)

1) Using GIS to Map Genealogical Data:  Getting Started
ANITA K. OSER (Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, USA)

2)  English Jurisdictions Project and Prototype
STEPHEN C. YOUNG (Family History Library, Salt Lake     City, UT, USA)

3)  Presenting Maps and Other Spatial Information on the Internet
PETER KORSGAARD (National Survey and Cadastre, Copenhagen, Denmark)

4)  Building Globally Distributed Historical Sheet Map Set
PATRICK MCGLAMERY (University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA)

10:45 – 12:45
Joint Program – Genealogy and Local History/Geography and Map Libraries
Sections
Navigating the World of Our Ancestors (Part 2) (#114)
Munch Salen (R)

5)  Inclusivity of the Marginalized – Irish Travellers and the
  Education Initiatives of the University of Limerick
      MICHAEL O’hAODHA (Electronics University of Limerick,
      Limerick, Ireland)

6)  Navigating the World of Ancestors:  Resources for Chinese –
      Canadian Genealogical Research
       JANET TOMKINS (Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver,
      British Columbia, Canada)

7)  The Power of DNA:  Discovering Lost and Hidden
  Relationships
UGO A. PEREGO (Sorensen Molecular Genealogy Foundation,
Salt Lake City, UT, USA)

8)  Cultural Heritage Institutions Facilitating the Navigation of the
      World of Our Ancestors, Or Can Archivists, Librarians,
       Museologists and Computer Scientists Join Hands to Do a
       Better Job?
       SANJICA FALETAR (J.J. Strossmayer University, Osijek,
       Croatia)

9)  Local History World Wide:  An International Internet Inventory
RAGNHILD HUTCHISON (The Norwegian Institute of Local History, Oslo, Norway)

13:00 – 14:30
Lunch

17:00 – 18:00
Officers’ Training Session I (#128)

18:30 – 21:30
Cultural Evening
Norwegian Museum of Culture History

Wednesday, August 17

Morning
Fjord Tour (*)
2 Hours – Euro 45

11:00 – 14:00
Library Visit
The National Library of Norway

16:00 – 18:00
Basic Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Librarians (#146)
University of Oslo, Gaustad/Blindern Campus, Harriet Holter Hus
Limited to 36 Participants – see sign-up sheet at IFLA Office for details.

19:00 – 21:00
Mayor’s / University of Oslo Library Receptions

Thursday, August 18

Morning
Norwegian Navigators Tour (*)
3 Hours – Euro 40

12:00 – 13:30
  Lunch

14:00 – 15:50
Closing Session (#160)

16:00 – 18:00
IFLA Council II (#161)

Friday, August 19

Morning
Oslo City Cultural Tour (*)
3 Hours – Euro 37

14:00 – 16:50
Geography and Map Libraries Section Standing Committee II (#195) –
Oslofjord (R)

17:00 – 18:30
Special Libraries Division Coordinating Board II (#208)
Oslofjord (R)

*[NOTE:  Tours marked with (*) are IFLA sponsored tours and should be
selected for the days and times indicated, so that G&M Section members
can tour as a group.]

The 72nd  IFLA General Conference and Council will be held from August
20 through August 24, 2006 in Seoul, South Korea.  Future conferences
are:  Durban, South Africa, August 2007; and Quebec, Canada, August
2008.  Check www.ifla.org for more information.