From:
Dale Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:59:58 EDT
Johnny-
Another NSDI_L posting that may interest MAPS-Lers.
Dale

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:19:39 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask] (FGDC Mail account)
>Subject: NSDI_L FGDC:
>Apparently-To: [log in to unmask]
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>
>> Please post and pass on to colleagues who might be qualified and
>interested in taking a week-off to conduct training in the US Virgin
>Islands.
>>
>> Request for Proposals
>>
>> One Week Training in Metadata Collection
>>
>> Island Resources Foundation, in cooperation with the Conservation Data
>> Center of the US Virgin Islands and members of the Virgin Islands
>>Resource Management Cooperative, is seeking qualified persons or
>>organizations to produce and present a one-week training program for up
>to >eight data administrators who will have responsibilities for
>documenting
>>geographic information used in environmental activities in the Virgin
>>Islands.This task will be conducted as part of a project to create a
>"Virgin
>>Islands Biological Information Node" as an element of the National
>Spatial
>>Data Infrastructure.
>>
>> The selected individual or institution will be required to present
>>training and tools for executing the following aspects of Metadata
>>Collection:
>>
>> *     Background and content of the Content Standards for Digital
>>Geospatial Metadata as promulgated by the Federal Geographic Data
>Committee
>>               -       The National Performance Review
>>               -       The National Spatial Data Infrastructure
>>               -       The National Biological Information Infrastructure
>> *     The Federal Geographic Data Committee Workbook
>> *     Detailed training in the use of a specific PC-based tool for
>>       completing metadata records (choice of tool is to be proposed by the
>>       candidate trainer, copies of the software will be provided to each
>>       participant)
>>       -       Detailed training in checking metadata data records for
>>               compliance with the Content Standard (use of "mp" or other
>>               metadata parsing tools)
>>       -       Quality control issues and techniques for metadata
>>
>> *     Interviewing techniques (and survey forms) for gathering metadata
>>       information from source data gatherers and custodians
>> *     Supervised entry of a number of datasets by participating trainees
>> *     Planning for metadata collection: how to set priorities when you
>>       have too many datasets and too few hours
>> *     Training of a future trainer of metadata collection personnel
>> *     Delivery of copies of all training materials.
>>
>> Island Resources Foundation and its cooperating groups will provide
>> trainees, a meeting room, an overhead projector and screen, and other
>>basic logistic support for the training site. Access to enough
>computers for
>>all of the trainees may be a problem which the training proposal might
> [...]

Dale Steele
Arizona Dept. of Library, Archives      "My object in living is to unite
1700 W. Washington                       My avocation with my vocation
Phoenix, AZ   85007                      As my two eyes make one in sight."
(602) 542-3701                                      -Robert Frost