From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ilene Raynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:50:22 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:33:21 -0600
From: Ilene Raynes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: deaccessioning of national topographic map collections
<fwd>
Sender: Ilene Raynes <[log in to unmask]>

Alice (and others)-

We keep all of our U.S. topos, older editions, too. In general, it seems
to be useful to patrons to have all editions of the quads available.

than 1949. Pre-1950 topos do not circulate, although we do allow them to
be photocopied. If 1950 seems like a random date, it's just the date we
chose (several years ago now) b/c we thought maps prior to this date
would be impossible to replace if lost. Our maps are filed by scale, so
all the 1:24,000 topos are alphabetical within states and then in
chronological order, with the newest edition on top. Older topos (i.e.,
pre-1940 1:62,500, 1:100,00, etc.) are in other drawers, at the end of
each particular state. We are about 99 percent done w/getting complete
records in our online catalog for the 1:24,000 quads for the entire U.S.
Although there are not online records for our older quads at other
scales, we do plan to someday have these in the catalog, as well.

Hope this helps. We're very interested in what other libraries are doing
w/their U.S. topo collection.

Ilene

Ilene Raynes
Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences and Map Library
University of Colorado - Boulder
Campus Box 184
Boulder, CO 80309
(303) 492-4487