From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:53:17 -0500
Subject: RE: National Geographic Map Supplements]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:11:58 -0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
David Bertuca:

For what it's worth (from this side of the pond), this Society's Map Room
would *never* encourage our Library to retain loose maps in its copies of
the 'NG'.  Apart from the obvious danger of loose maps falling out (and the
possibility of some well-meaning reader re-placing the map within the wrong
number) there is the obvious one of theft.  Less obvious is the fact that a
Library administration may not bother itself with recording these
inconvenient things called 'maps'; and only a map collection will
automatically record and care for these.  Your final paragraph is the only
good solution, in that no-one could be offended!

Sincerely (and writing from experience),
(Mr) Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections' - including some online catalogues]