From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 07:50:28 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map exhibit at LAPL
Date:   Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:22:11 -0700
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, folks -

I went to the exhibit yesterday afternoon and, if you're in SoCal or
passing through before the exhibit goes away after 22 January 2009, you
really should go see it.  I was thrilled to learn a bunch of new things
though I've looked at maps of this area A LOT since moving here in 1989.

I didn't know, for example, that most of Long Beach is built on landfill
over the mouth of the Los Angeles River (even though I taught and was a
dean in Long Beach for more than 5 years!).  Duh!

I also found out that the name Azusa does NOT originate from what folks
who live there frequently use (A to Z in the USA).  This is because the
town I live in is mapped as Azusa de Duarte which I know to be the
Duarte Rancho granted to Andres Duarte, whose great granddaughter lived
down the breezeway from me for about four years. So, when I came home
tonight I found the following on Wikipedia:

"The place name 'Azusa' traces back to at least the eighteenth century
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_century>. 'The Azusa' originally
referred to the San Gabriel Valley
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gabriel_Valley> and river
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gabriel_River_%28California%29>, and
likely derives from the Tongva <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongva>
place name /Asuksagna/ ...."

So, thank you to Glen for pointing us towards it and to the people who
put the exhibit together for giving me enough information to solve one
of the toponomous questions I've had for a long while.  I just couldn't
believe even the most egregious promoter could come up with the
frequently used explanation for the name of Azusa.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif