From:
Chris Kollen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 11:38:40 EDT
At the University of Arizona we have circulated maps for several years.
We barcode maps and have item records for each sheet (actually we're still
working on this, but that's where we're headed).  Anything that currently
isn't in the system when someone wants to check it out, we create what we
call an "on the fly" circulation record.  When that map (or book etc.) is
returned we do the cataloging for it.  We do not circulate every map we
have in the collection.  Any map before 1940 does not go out of the building
and any map before 1930 is kept in what we call our "locked case".  When
we circulate maps, we check them out for 3 weeks in map tubes.  If they
want to renew them, they have to bring them back in - we do not offer phone
renewals for maps.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to
give me a call.
Chris Kollen
University of Arizona
Main Library