From:
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:30:31 EDT
3 messages.----------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: how high the map cases, how high the moon...

>AH: Last time I was in LC G&M their cases were no taller than three;
>I've used that as my benchmark.  It all boils down, I suspect, to how
>much of a load will the floor withstand.  If you're on a ground floor,
>with real earth below the slab, there might not be a problem. However,
>any map cases placed above the ground floor might require
>"engineering".

I would suggest making no assumptions about the suitability of floors
to withstand any kind of library storage, even with real earth beneath
the slab.  The concrete slabs in many buildings were not designed for
the loads which shelving or map cabinets will provide.  Damage to the
structure can require costly repairs later on  ...it's not easy to lift
the rest of the building off to repair a damaged foundation!

John Stevenson                  University of Delaware Library
Coordinator,                    Government Documents and Maps
[log in to unmask] - email         181 S. College Ave.
302/831-8671 - voice            Newark, DE 19717-5267
302/831-1046 - fax              Depository 0087

On Mon, 18 May 1998 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>      AH: Last time I was in LC G&M their cases were no taller than three;
>      I've used that as my benchmark.  It all boils down, I suspect, to how
>      much of a load will the floor withstand.  If you're on a ground floor,
>      with real earth below the slab, there might not be a problem. However,
>      any map cases placed above the ground floor might require
>      "engineering".  We consulted structural engineers when I designed
>      installation of archives shelving in our top (3rd) floor in the
>      Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library. When adding any
>      substantial weight to a floor, an engineering report is essential.
>
>      - Paul Leverenz

> Subject: how high the map cases, how high the moon...
> Author:  Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>  at {ucsdhub}
> Date:    5/16/98 3:36 PM

>      OK gang. I have been known to quote "national map library standards"
>      to my bosses, about how map cases should be no higher than ca. 50"...
>
>      now they want to know where I got that from... did I make this up in a
>      creative moment? I went to the SLA university library standards, and
>      it is not there. Not in Larsgaard or Drazniowsky.
>
>      I would like to think I am my own authority on all things, especially
>      map cases [sigh] but no.
>
>      Any one out there in library land, who has been working on space
>      studies, have a clue as to where this "3 units high" idea came from?
>
>      Alice Hudson
>      Map Division, NYPL

>Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 08:21:27 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Velma Parker)
>Subject: Re: how high the map cases, how high the moon...

Alice,
I do not have the information although I think some things were published
in the late 70s in various map library journals.  However, Beverly Chen
has information about floor-load levels in her article "Map library design
guidelines, ideas, tips and pitfalls" in the ACMLA Bulletin no. 89, 1993.
The "3 cases high" may have come out of floor-load considerations and also
staff safety in retrieving and shelving activities.

If you need more information from Bev., please contact me as she is ill
and off work.  In the event that you need more information,  I will contact
her and see if she has anything on th topic.

Good luck
Velma >

--
Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada

>From: "Johnnie D. Sutherland" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:11:32 EST
>Subject: (Fwd) Case Heights

Alice:     I served on the SLA G&M Standards Committee as a minor
member lo those many years ago so my memory has, well gone south.  I do
not think three high cases are a written standard, but rather has been
accepted by the experienced professionals as the ideal case stack
height given standard conditions and standard case size.  Experience
here in the U.S. with the cases available on the market has resulted in
most U.S. Map Libraries using a horizontal metal case with five
drawers, the case size being 54"X42"X15".  Given that type of case then
we get a 3-high case stack that: 1) is not too heavy for the standard
library floor; 2) allows the top drawer to be used without a kick stand
for most patrons; 3) allows the top of the case to be used for sorting;
and 4) allows the librarian to see everyone in the Map Room (that is it
does not make the Map Room look like a cave).  Higher case stacks have
major disadvanges in floor load problems and safety problems.  Try
putting nautical charts in the top drawer in a five-case stack. Some
collections with major space problems do go to higher case stacks. For
example when I saw the DMA Map Room year ago it had 9 or 10 high case
stacks and had major safety problems. In those sites you need an
engineer to come in and make recommendations on floor load, and special
bracing for the stacks.
     The Map Room here at Georgia has run out of space and we are
slowly going to 5-high case stacks.  I have had to buy a large rolling,
5 foot high stock table and rolling step ladders with rails. My current
estimate is that, given some weeding, the day I retire is the day the
last stack in the Map Room will go 5 high. I have put the five-high
case stacks where there is the least use.  When a patron or staff
member falls off one of the ladders someday I hope they don't hang ten
on a map drawer rim and pull the entire stack over on them.  Since the
Map Room here is in the basement the case stacks will not go through
the floor.  However I am not sure what the long-term result of
five-high case stacks will mean for the foundations of this building.

    I hope your question does not mean that the powers that be at NYPL
want you to put higher case stacks in your reading room?  That would be
a sin against the style of the room.

John Sutherland
University of Georgia