From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:53:23 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: map collections in open stacks question
Date:   Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:29:22 -0400
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings;

The University at Buffalo Map Collection is an open-stack collection that
is in its own room and that is open all hours that the library is open.
Currently, the collection is not staffed except when patrons request
assistance or when the map librarian is in the room (though I also have
office hours, but my office is not on the same floor).

The Map Collection was going to be moved to space adjoining my office area,
and in the open space that now holds our Multimedia (video, AV, microforms,
etc.) Center. Though I would prefer that the maps have their own room/space
(even with glass wall partitions would work), this was not being considered
as an option. At present though plans to move the collection have ceased
for other reasons and our original room will still be used for maps and
carto materials.

I have over the years noticed changes in map use and care given to maps by
users and this year have decided that the Map Room should be closed after
normal hours (5 pm or 6pm) with several nights being opened with some form
of staffing. We have always made access to maps as easy as possible (except
for items that are rare or unique, which are in a closed office) and this
has served the campus well. However, several things have changed in more
recent times:

1. Wireless campus means laptop users will use any space they can find,
especially if power outlets are available. The Map Room is a prime spot for
evening computing and our own equipment is unplugged by students who
rearrange furniture and plugs to fit their needs (it's a pain for us).

2. Students and other users are not as careful in the evening as day time
in terms of pulling maps and handling them for use. In the morning it
sometimes is quite a mess to rearrange when traffic is high.

3. Since almost all of our maps are cataloged, anyone can locate maps and
"target" the ones that they might want for use other than to work with them
or circulate them (in other words--some of our maps are leaving the
collection never to return). This is still minor as most users are decent
and do take care of maps, and do not steal them.

The model collections that I have visited through the years were mostly
separate rooms, closed or supervised stacks, and with more limited hours. I
am more inclined to move toward this direction to make the collection
neater (less mis-filed by user maps--we ask them not to), less rearranging
daily of items moved for other uses than map viewing, and with an aim
toward protecting the integrity and value of the collection, which is
primarily for using maps for research and proper uses.

The idea of maps being integrated with an AV center or in an open area does
not make sense to me. Maps require viewing space, areas that are dedicated
to using them with other map tools (computers, GIS, manual measuring
devices, etc.) and if the collection shares space with other formats, the
other formats, or non-map users take over the map space.

Even with our separate room, there are days when I have to wade through
students or ask them to move so that map users can access drawers OR just
have a space to work with the maps. This is actually a "no. 4" on the above
list--more students, less space in libraries = overcrowding and searching
for ANY space to study and work.

So, part of this is off-topic, but open stacks can work depending on user
types, collections (rare or common), and other factors. But, if given the
preference, I would opt for:

1. a Map Room dedicated to the collection and its use
2. Semi- or fully-supervised collection (to assist, provide access, and to
maintain collection conditions and arrangement)
3. Hours of operation that are limited to those times that can actually
have someone to be available in the room. They would monitor activity,
assist patrons, examine the collection on an ongoing basis (for
conservation, searching for "lost" items in drawers, and for cleaning up
after map use).

This is a perfect time for this question as we are dealing with the same
issues and I am compiling examples of comparable collections to see how
these operate. I hope my long-winded statement is helpful and would be
happy to discuss this with anyone further as it would help me and you.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
University at Buffalo Map Collection

--On Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:45 PM -0500 "Angie Cope, AGSL"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

David J. Bertuca