From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:45:51 -0500
Subject:        Map cataloging questions from beginning catalogers
Date:   Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:35:29 -0400
From:   Ava Iuliano <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello everyone,

   I am a rookie cataloger that is currently working on cataloging maps.  I
am working with another beginning cataloger and we've run across an item
that is causing us both some confusion.  The map is a large UNESCO map
produced in a couple of different editions, even though the individual
sheets form one single map (50 sheets making up one single HUGE map).  The
English title is 'International Geological Map of Europe and the
Mediterranean Regions 1:1500000" with parallel titles in French and German.
 The date range is from 1964-2000.  In creating a record for this item (our
OCLC searches have produced only bare-bones records in German that often
only describe a single sheet or Australian records for only a partial
holding), how do we delineate that it is a single item in multiple editions?
 How would you create the record for this particular item?

Thanks for any advice or input,

Ava and Darla
University of South Florida