From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:26:36 -0600
Subject:        Arrow Map History
Date:   Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:20:50 -0500
From:   David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum Maps <[log in to unmask]>

   I inherited a folder of map dates and map publishing history when I began full-time map cataloging over two years ago.  I have a fairly good understanding of mapping for the last 35 years or more.  Having served as map librarian and working with materials from the Library of Congress Summer project, both as a participant and processor of my students work there, I have seen and used a lot of maps.

   Determining the dates of most maps for cataloging has become fairly easy, except for Arrow Maps.  Many do not have any codes or dates.  The only "window" seems to be where the company was located at the time the maps were published, but I can find no complete history of the company to help with this.  The OCLC authority file only says that the company moved to Canton in mid-1980.  It started in Boston as a division of Polk, but when did they move to Newton Upper Falls?  Why are most of the "Pathfinder" series not cataloged?

   I know why dates were not put on the maps, but I would like to catalog the maps as close to the date as possible.  Does anyone have a guide/index sheet on Arrow Maps?

   I have just finished cataloging our folded AAA city map collection.  It was helpful to know when they moved from Washington, DC to Falls Church, VA to Heathrow, FL.  I know that company histories have been done on Rand McNally, H. M. Gousha, and others, so it might be a good idea to track down other map company histories or write ones for others.  This needs to be done, just as family histories need to be collected now, before this portion of our map heritage is lost in time.

   Digital maps are great.  It is just amazing what we can do with modern technology.  Who would not want to have a dash mounted GPS system in their car, but we have literally millions of uncataloged paper maps that will never be scanned.  Somehow we need to find a way to value both technologies as they enhance each other.  IFLA G&M is still working on guidelines for handling paper maps in libraries.  Please e-mail any comments you might have to Marcy M. Allen, Head, Maps Library, Penn State University, [log in to unmask] She has taken on the continuation of this IFLA project.

   As a side note, the World Library and Information Congress, IFLA-Quebec, is August 9-15, 2008.  This is your chance, in North America, to participate in the international discussions that happen each year at the  annual Geography and Map Libraries Section meetings.  Next year the meetings are in Milan, Italy and in 2010 they are in Brisbane, Australia.  So save some time and plan to attend this year. It will be harder to drive to the 2009 and 2010 meetings! For more information go to www.ifla.org .

David C. McQuillan
Map Cataloger
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina