From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:50:12 -0500
  forwarded from the govdoc list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        September 2010 Lost Docs Report and Appeal
Date:   Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:00:28 -0800
From:   Daniel Cornwall <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

REPORT

In September 2010, we posted 31 "lost docs" e-mail receipts sent by GPO to the
librarians who reported these missing documents. These civic minded librarians in
turn e-mailed us their receipts. How many reports did GPO receive? Only they know,
but the more people who send their fugitive docs e-mail receipts to
[log in to unmask], the more accurate our count will be.

Of the 31 reported items that were posted to the blog in September, seven items
have been cataloged by GPO since the initial report. You can view this list by
visiting lostdocs.freegovinfo.info/category/found/ and looking at the postings with
September 2010 dates. We are appreciative of these new records.

Actually, if you view the list of "found" documents, you'll notice 12 entries, five
of which are also marked "fugitive." In these five instances, we have been provided
a note that GPO intends to catalog these items. However there was no publicly
available record in the Catalog of Government Publications (CGP) when we searched
those titles.

We will take the "fugitive" tag off those records if we're made aware of a CGP record

In our view, eight of the items reported to GPO and posted to the blog in January
were either out of scope for the Catalog of Government Publications (CGP) or were
already in the catalog. You can view these items by visiting
lostdocs.freegovinfo.info/category/false/ and looking for items with March 2010
dates.

Most of these "false positive" items relate to the recent Deepwater Horizon oil
spill and may reflect proactive activity on GPO's part to get any oil spill related
documents. If so, we commend them.

APPEAL

If you like the concept of a public listing of fugitive documents reported to GPO,
there are a number of easy ways to help us:

    1. If you report a fugitive document to GPO, send your e-mailed receipt to
[log in to unmask] We welcome any item reported to GPO in the past
month. It is best if you can send us the receipt the same day you get it from
GPO. Some e-mail programs will support auto-forwarding. If so, please consider
autoforwarding items where the subject contains "lostdocs submission."
    2. Visit the blog at lostdocs.freegovinfo.info and comment on the listed items.
Comments can include -- Did your library receive the item? Did you find it in
the CGP? Do you think the item is out of scope for the CGP? Did you report the
item as well and so on.
    3. Post the blog link to your website or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or other
social media.
    4. Subscribe to the blog feed at lostdocs.freegovinfo.info/feed/
       or better yet incorporate the feed into your website or blog.

Daniel Cornwall
Free Government Information