From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:51:01 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:40:59 +0100
From: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: more details to mean sea level, Alicante

At 14:08 23/09/98 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

A (probably) last word from me on this: I took the liberty of forwarding
Andrea's request to Cliff Mungier at the University of New Orleans (who
I mentioned in my last message). This is his response. If there is any
discrepancy between my replies and his (though I didn't see any), I readily
defer to his far greater experience and knowledge of such matters.

Cliff said:

>Everything [in Andrea's original query] relates to the geoid separation
>between the terrain
>elevations (geoid) and the ellipsoid.  Vertical datum differences are
>not as important, but the conversion between the two (per his question)
>is with respect to  Amsterdam, the mark "NAP 1684" ... (yes, the date is
>correct) being zero gives Alicante as (minus is correct) " - 249
>millimeters. "
>
>This may be enough, but I doubt short e-mail notes will solve this guy's
>problem.  The Spanish Military 1:50,000 topo maps are European Datum
>1950 and referenced to the International 1924 Ellipsoid which is
>synonomous with the Hayford 1909 ellipsoid.
>
>This guy needs a real geodesist, (Germany is FULL or them!), and I think
>he's over his head ...

HTH,

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                          Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                           Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                   Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                             Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                             Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile: (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]     Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....