From:
Wendy Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:13:49 EDT
I'm a student at Syracuse University in the Library & Information
Studies program and I'm doing my internship at Portland State
University.  My project is to increase access to the maps collection.
Specifically, I'm to look at various ways of cataloging maps that are
not already indexed by other sources.

Currently a system is used whereby purchased maps are cataloged by a
paraprofessional who is part of the Reader's Services staff.  She is
not a trained cataloger and has to fit cataloging maps into her
pretty full routine.  The system is a manual one and when a map is
cataloged, an author/title card is produced as is a subject card and a
shelf list card.

The person who is currently responsible for
cataloging maps has only been doing it since September of 1994.
There has been no authority control and subject headings have been
very creative in some instances.

There are a number of options:
          1. The present system can stay in place
          with the paraprofessional cataloging maps as time is
          available. The card catalog will remain the access point
          for users of the map collection.

          2. The present system can be retained but rather than using
          a manual file, an electronic database can be set up and a
          terminal provided for patron access.  (The floor that houses
          the map collection is unstaffed and library staff are
          concerned that a terminal in the area will be vandalized).

          3. Maps can be cataloged and added to the online catalog.

The question for #3 is who will catalog the items.  The cataloging
section does not want to have an untrained cataloger adding items to
the catalog, nor do they want to take on the responsibility for
cataloging maps.  In this fiscal year the library has identified 62
maps that need cataloging.

I've done a literature search looking for information on the pro's &
con's of cataloging maps and I've been unsatisfied with the results.
I've read Mary Largaard's tome on map librarianship but I would like
more information before I make my recommendations.  I would really
appreciate hearing from people who work with maps.  I should add that
PSU library is a regional depository and there is no map librarian.
The professional who is responsible for the map collection is one of
the science librarians.

Thank you.

Wendy Stewart
PSU Library Serials