From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:10:34 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Kenneth Grabach" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo Maps & Geospatial Systems Forum [[log in to unmask]]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:10:49 PM
Subject: Cataloging cartographic materials using RDA

Dear cartographic cataloger colleagues,

My library is preparing to make our first steps into the minimally charted waters of RDA catalog description. Most of this seems, while different in style, to be rather straightforward. However, I wonder if there might be anything prepared among cartographic catalogers using RDA to clarify the terminology for the 33x fields.

I managed with some digging to find a Term and Code List for RDA Content Types . In that list I find six different cartographic types. Does anyone know of a set of definitions for these terms. Some seem straightforward, but some see to overlap or lack a concise connotative meaning. "Cartographic image," "Cartographic tactile image," and "Cartographic three-dimensional form" seem to possibly have some overlap one to another. I have assumptions about each.

"Cartographic image" might conceivably be the one to use for a traditional printed map. "Cartographic three-dimensional form" might conceivably be the one to use for a globe. "Cartographic tactile image" might conceivably be a raised-relief map. And "Cartographic tactile three-dimensional form" might conceivably be a globe with raised relief. However, I might, conceivably be off in one or more of these assumptions. And that there is no content term for a set of compiled cartographic images (i.e. an atlas of maps) for which neither "Text" nor "Cartographic image" seems precise and accurate has me stumped a bit.

In Field 337, media, I am assuming a printed map, atlas, or globe would be "unmediated", but I can conceive of them being "other" or "unspecified". none of them in the appropriate table are matched with Marc 007 code "a".

Field 338 seems most straightforward of all. Printed maps would be "sheet", printed atlases would be "volume", and globes would be "object" unless they are "other".

If anyone has knowledge or more insight to give, perhaps additional references or tools, I would welcome them. Others might, also.

Ken

--

Ken Grabach
Maps Librarian