From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 17:17:04 EST
Greetings,
I pulled out our copy of the US Coast and Geodetic Survey nautical chart of
Midway Atoll (chart #1948).  It is at a scale of 1:32,500 and dated Sept. 21,
1991, 10th ed.  It does not show street layout.  We also have earlier
editions of this and other CGS charts of Midway, including one that is dated
1943 (chart #4185), but these too do not have streets.  Maybe still of use,
though?

If you need WWII-era aerial photography, the National Archives has some.  I
would also suggest that you contact our library's Pacific and Hawaiian
Collections.  The may have "environmental assessments" and other "studies"
that may have included maps and illustrations.

By the way, I believe Midway Islands (made up of actually TWO islands on this
atoll) is not "closed down".  Not yet, anyway.  The military still occupy the
islands.

If you need more info on what I've mentioned, feel free to contact me.  I
have to logoff as my terminal is not taking to backspacing kindly.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii  Map Collection
2550 The Mall
Honolulu, HI  96822                  mmmm...NEW 18oz family size Spam can.