From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:31:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: chinese discoverers of America in 1/5/03 NYT Mag]
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 08:47:51 -0500 (EST)
From: "David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

In case anyone is interested in pursuing this article, here is the
citation to the online version of this article:

Goodbye, Columbus!
By JACK HITT
New York Times Magazine
January 5, 2003
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/magazine/05MENZIES.html>

Menzies' book, ''1421,'' boldly asserts that the Chinese discovered
America 70 years before Columbus. Riding the tube out to his house, I
saw
''1421'' promoted on the billboards at the station stops, alongside
Eminem's new album and J. Lo's latest movie. The London papers have
feverishly debated Menzies' radical thesis since its publication in
November; his book will finally arrive here in the New World later this
week, accompanied by a huge publicity campaign from its American
publisher, William Morrow.

-------------

This article is of substantial length.

Here is the citation to the new book title that is discussed in the
article:

1421 : the year China discovered the world
Gavin Menzies
2002
English  Book 389 p. : maps ; 24 cm.
London : Bantam, ISBN: 0593050789

Another short blurb about the popularity of this title may be of
interest:

>>>Initial impact in the United Kingdom
<http://www.1421.tv/news.htm>

and this excerpt from the book itself from the same source:

<http://www.1421.tv/pages/the_book/extract.htm>

and finally this coverage of the title from the BBC:

Tuesday, 22 October, 2002, 16:21 GMT 17:21 UK
Experts hope to emulate Chinese Columbus
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/science/nature/2349929.stm>

Plans are afoot to try and emulate the travels of a Chinese eunuch who
is
believed to have discovered America more than 70 years before
Christopher
Columbus.

Admiral Zheng He is extremely well known in China, where he is
considered
one of the pioneers of marine exploration.

Happy New Year to all members of this discussion group.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584